Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Play the Man Not the Ball or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Start Loving Rugby League




I have just gotten home from State of Origin game one 2013. Awesome game, had a wicked time with some nice people, had a grand old chat to two old fellas on the bus on the way home and thoroughly enjoyed listening to the young 5 - 10 year olds who were at their first game with their folks as they talked about what parts they enjoyed best/who was the best player.

I had a killer time, just big smiles all around. So I was lying in bed and having a look at ye olde Facebook as I tend to do (far too often) and what struck me as strange as with all the obvious football related posts, there were as many anti Rugby League/anti sport posts.

Most of them with the obvious tone of superiority, the idea that this is solely an activity for the stupid. It seemed for enjoying this night, I was a piece of shit meathead with misogynistic tendencies?

That's cool if you don't like it, by all means, go right ahead. But to so vehemently be against it? To suggest that much bad about someone because they like a sport?

Hey, I do love to joke about AFL to my Melbourne mates and I do shit on rock Festivals but that is more from a technical standpoint, in that the best place to see a band is indoors, there is simply no comparison, hence I pay out the rear end for 'sideshows' and 'sidewaves'.

I am not being anti-complainer here, not at all, heck I complain all the fucking time, much to my friends annoyance I am sure.

But that is about actual issues, not getting butthurt and taking some pseudo-intellectual stance against a simple game that people enjoy.

I am positive that a lot of sports fan think me, wasting my time at a rock n roll show, is incomprehensible. But hey, different strokes for different folks. So long as no one is getting hurt, no harm no foul.

I totally get the 'games to distract the populace' ala Orwell's 1984.

I understand that often sport can be used to distract you and for you to allow yourself to get to care more about the achievements of others than your own achievements. But is that not the person? Is that not the issue of people having a general malaise or maybe there is a deeper issue as to why we do that?

To imply that someone must be a thug, misogynist, stupid etc. because they enjoy Rugby League and enjoyed the hubbub surrounding it is flat out ridiculous.

Oh but Mo, you say, what about their absolutely appalling record on player behaviour, treatment of women, racism etc. etc.?

I'm not denying any of that or reducing it, but those are not issues about the game itself. That is about an ingrained culture of misogyny. Those issues need to be tackled, they really do, but those are issues that we need to address in general for a lot of young men. Actually in society as a whole. Same goes for rape culture, racism, sexism and so on.

But it's much easier to say footy is fucked because they're all dumb than to actually look deeper and start to tackle some real issues. Pun intended.

I really like a lot of sport. I love the competition. I love the heart element. I love the story. I love the raw humanity of it.

 I also happen to read a fuck tonne and know a thing or two about current events and history.Not for a second putting myself above someone else, simply stating I am a boring fuck AND saying that things are more complex than footy is dumb/fuck jocks etc.

Speaking for myself, one of the best things I have personally done for myself is begin training martial arts. Something I have not done for a very long time (primary school, if that even counts...). Mainly Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and some private training in stand up with an amazing..how would I describe him... I guess several dan black belt in karate, but studied many many styles of fighting so a real mixed martial artist I guess...or what I would consider a real martial artist to be more specific.

You'd imagine (if you were anything like me 5 years ago) that this would be an arena filled with "jocks" and "meatheads" but the people I have met through Jiu jitsu, I find incredible. I am speaking in terms of meeting some of the most genuinely nice people I have met in a long time who I also (and they me) try to choke out. In the friendliest manner possible.

Or with my stand up trainer who I spend two hours training with whilst discussing design, philosophy, music... you name it.

The effects on my life have been fantastic. One in terms of my body and mind feeling better overall, I am also thoroughly enjoying knowing and testing my limits...having a dude half your age, weight and strength make you tap out is fantastic for the ego.

I guess my point is that there is more to sport/physical activity than just dumb meatheads who have no mental capacity.

There is something to be said for the pursuit of excellence and the sacrifice to achieve it and the reward for that, in whatever field you chose or enjoy.

I am not saying some footy players aren't the biggest idiots on earth and some football fans are the most horrendous people. But that, for the most part is issues with horrendousness and idiocy.

Consensual release of aggression is not that bad in my opinion, it's where it is harmful to yourself and others be it through non-violent means i.e. stress (road rage etc.) or violent means or where you allow your absorption into the achievements of others that you do not achieve on your own that shit gets problematic.

Heck, some of the calmest, loveliest and deep thinking people I know are utter weapons in physical  activities.

So please, I'm not a moron misogynist thug because I like Rugby League and I like Origin.

I also happen to love the board game Risk, playing Big 2, Rock n Roll music, an unhealthy obsession with a younger Mavis Staples and equally love the writings of Gandhi, Rumi, Chomsky, Mick Foley (Wrestler) and JK Rowling (yes, I fkn like Harry Potter, fuck you).

Play the man, not the ball.

P.S. If sport statuses irritate you so much on the couple of times a year your Facebook feed gets cluttered with them, spare a thought for me, I don't particularly like cats and I'm  not a fan of bacon either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment